Friday, June 14, 2013

Embracing a Crazy Idea

Let me be honest, I'm 33 years old and I'm pretty sure the last time I ran for any length of time was during a required P.E. class in college when I was about 21 years old. I cannot remember a time in my life when I've been "little" but there have been times when I had great cardiovascular fitness.

Many things have prompted this decision. My 3 young children are the main reason. I want to set a good example for them early on. My husband is another. He will be undergoing his own transformation this year with weight loss surgery.

A few months ago, I decided I was going to run a 5k. I had heard about the Couch to 5k method and found blogs from people like "The Fat Runner" that gave tips on how to modify the workout and what gear to purchase. My husband purchased a book for me by renown runner Jeff Galloway and included a $50 giftcard to Finish Line.

And to make it more tangible I actually picked a race scheduled in October just after my 34th birthday.

Running shoes and socks were purchased. A date was set and off I went.


The First Run




One of my big excuses not to workout outside was the Texas heat. Anyone can testify of the brutality of summers. Just sitting outside makes you feel like you'll pass out any moment. As fate would have it, the very week I decide to begin is the week Summer finally arrives.

I used the official Couch to 5k app to notify me of when to walk and when to run. As I was doing a brisk 5 minute walk warmup, I was dreading the first run. It was going to take every bit of willpower to actually run. The first week calls for alternating 60 second jogs with 90 seconds of walking.

After two reps of this and already feeling a little lightheaded and my legs screaming for relief, I knew this pace would not work. The whole point of this workout is to alternate whatever you're capable of running with walking. I didn't want to go home or sit down so I slowed it down and only did 20 seconds of running.

By the end of the first workout, my feet felt numb and I could hardly lift my legs into our van for the short drive home. I probably shouldn't have drove home. I felt a little lightheaded and my legs were heavy noodles.



I made it home and drank a ton of Gatorade. Put some Icy Hot on my legs. I walked around with noodle legs and the inability to bend my toes up.

But I was proud and hopeful that I'd be able to walk better the next day. My shins were sore but my muscles were already recovering by the morning.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I know exactly how you felt today because that was me a few years ago. As I read your post I kept shaking my head yes and saying "yup, I hear ya, oh yeah I felt like that too.." You inspire me! What race will you be running in October? I would love to run it with you.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete