Wednesday, June 19, 2013

I Did It!

This week promised to be so busy that I switched my training to a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday schedule. My hip had been slightly sore so the resulting extra day gave me a chance to recover.

I had no real desire to run. I was in a foul mood. Hormones and 3 young and whiny kids just exacerbated the foul mood. But I knew I had to keep going. Besides I figured I could use a break and outlet. The weather wasn't as warm and humid so I felt hopeful.

 My initial plan was to alternate my running reps between 60 seconds and 30 seconds. I thought that would give me more opportunity to run a full minute. After hearing my friend Dave declare he had completed the full workout and me being in a foul mood - I decided to do the same. Probably not my wisest move looking back but at the time I was pretty determined.

 The running reps became more difficult as time went on and I could feel soreness starting to creep in. I found that at about the 40 second mark I'd hit what felt like a wall so I'd focus on the scenery, focus on my stride, anything but negative thoughts.

And it worked. I completed the full work out. Increased my run time by 2 1/2 minutes to complete 8 minutes of running. I was thrilled! Still am actually.

 Now for the negative. My knee hurts but ibuprofen seems to help tremendously. It's my inner left knee closer to my other leg. Before taking ibuprofen this morning bending the knee to lift hurt. Also my left hip but that has felt better since laying on it - go figure. I think the knee soreness came about due to two reasons: one - overdoing it and two - overcompensating for my hip and not having a steady gait while running. Something to focus on during my next training session. I may place an extra day or so between now and when I run next. Jeff Galloway suggests 2-3 days so we'll see. In any case, I'm very proud and looking forward to doing it again.

4 comments:

  1. This is so scary, my knee blew up this morning, inside left knee, same as you. Pain cam on as I started stretching at the end of the workout last night. Hope everything is ok with yours! Great great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! I'm wondering what exactly is causing it for us. Is it our gait being off since we're doing this while bigger?

      Luckily ibuprofen has helped tremendously and I'll just stay on an anti-inflammatory regimen for the next couple of days.

      How bad is your knee? Are you able to move around? Is it swollen?

      Delete
  2. Having had runners knee, I can guarantee it's the lack of strength in your legs and knee area. Strength training is highly recommended for runners because it builds up the muscles and allows the knee to move at the right angle rather than turning inward to compensate. Try doing a couple squats (without over analyzing yourself) and have someone watch you from in front -- do your knees buckle in? They shouldn't; they should actually turn slightly outwards. The lack of strength will cause some serious issues with your knees and IT Band.

    Definitely start icing and elevating your knees after runs as well. This will help with inflammation along with your ibuprofen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking it might be easier to tell if your knee is turning in with lunges rather than squats. :)

      Delete